Right now you may be sitting on (or carrying) a semi-sacred storehouse of spiritual richness. I’m talking about your wallet, billfold, clutch, purse—or whatever appurtenance holds artifacts that mark your identity. Today, I’d like you to consider how your wallet could be filled with spiritual markers.
The items in your wallet may have spiritual meaning—even if you’re living in a situation where it no longer has any other functions. Here are some ways your billfold or purse could remind you about your spiritual core:
• The wallet can prompt thoughts about the value (and dangers) of money—possibilities for gratitude as well as for idolatry.
• Business cards might rekindle prayers of gratitude for those individuals.
• Expired or not, a driver’s license can help you recall all the wonderful places you’ve lived.
• A BandAid® might call to mind your possible role in an emergency, your ability to be a caring person.
• A pocket calendar helps you reflect on the passage of time, or the value of this moment.
• Sales slips might invite your thoughts about the relationships between your needs and wants.
• Membership cards might help you remember your connections to large groups of people.
• A health insurance card signals the blessing of merciful care or rescue in a time of need.
• Photos are tokens of the love you hold for cherished others.
What other spiritual matters might you discover in your purse or billfold? Where could you see grace, humility, determination, forgiveness or contentment in the items that are kept safe in your wallet? Which are enduring reminders?
Your wallet holds many artifacts that describe you as a child of God and a member of the whole human family! You can cherish the fullness of your years right there in your purse, clutch or billfold.
No matter its age…
(To subscribe, go to the upper right hand corner of the top banner and click on the three parallel lines. Scroll down to the subscription form and enter your information.)